Latest Blog Posts

Lemon Salt Scrub // Clean Living



Today I want to introduce you to the salt scrub. I've created a number of sugar scrubs throughout the last year but have yet to dabble in the salt scrub. To be honest, I was a little skeptical of it. Sugar scrubs smell (and taste) wonderfully plus do such a great job at exfoliating the skin, so it was easy to stick with creating sugar scrubs. But now I'm proud to admit I'm a firm believer in the salt scrub. This particular scrub is great for those tired mornings. While the salt removes old skin cells and makes the skin extra smooth, the lemon revives and freshens your skin, giving you a fresh, lightened glow. Lemon is also used to fight acne and helps prevent future breakouts. 

ingredients:

1/2 cup sea salt
1 lemon
2 tbsp coconut oil (jojoba and grapeseed oil works as well)

Begin by melting the oil on the stove top. Once melted, pour into a glass bowl. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze all of the juice into the bowl. Lastly, mix in the salt and store in a sealable container. You may need more or less salt than the recipe requires, depending on the amount of juice you squeeze from the lemon. You want the texture to be smooth with no clumps, but where no extra oil is sitting in the bottom of the bowl. 

tip* try adding in a tsp of honey to the mix for extra smooth skin. 

I'm not sure of the shelf life, but if you store it in a cool, dry area it should have a relatively long shelf life. 

Comments

  1. I cannot tell you how much I needed this!!!!!!! I am so thankful for your Clean Living posts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your clean living post. I make my candles using pure essential oils...you could even add some lavender oil to this scrub as well - very balancing on the skin!

    Maggie
    www.eancandles.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Umm...pretty sure that you shouldn't recommend putting lemon juice (or any citrus) on your skin. Google around and you'll see a LOT of references to phytophotodermatitis or -- this term was used by doctors at GW to my friend who contracted it -- Margarita Phytophotodermatitis. Basically it means that skin can have a really bad and painful reaction if exposed to sunlight after being treated with citrus.

    Never one to leave fear mongery comments but this is potentially really dangerous advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. perfect timing! been looking for another way to use up our lemons from the tree :)
    xo jac

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now that you've tried both sugar and salt scrubs, what's your preference? Or do you think switching it up is a good idea?

    Came over from Youtube to your blog btw, and it's lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing! This looks great- and I love the photos!
    http://www.lovelydoesit.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love these clean living posts! I definitely need to give this a go. It'll be amazing for the summer! xx
    Celina | The Celution | Bloglovin’

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like the perfect way to freshen up each morning. :)

    charity

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa lemon and coconut oil - two of my many favorite things! Thanks for sharing this, I've been meaning to make my own salt scrub.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've never tried any homemade scrubs but this seems simple enough. I think it would be great as a simple gift for friends. Certainly trying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love using all natural ingredients, no need for chemicals!

    http://lifeandcity.tumblr.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this! I've can't wait to try this! I bet it smells so lovely and invigorating! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. Its very nutrient and good flavour fruit.Thanks for your nice post.

    Emergency dental clinic Manhattan NY

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks great! Also, lemon helps even out skin tone as well! I can't wait to try this out!

    xoxo
    Taylor

    www.welcomehometaylor.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh wow this must smell killer.

    http://juliettelaura.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. For me, it's the opposite! I've been doing salt scrub for years until I heard about people using sugar. At first I was wondering if it was any good. I like both!

    ReplyDelete
  17. first off, your photos are just beautiful. and secondly, i think i'm going to make this. tonight i read about how all of the small plastic beads from face/body washes are just ending up in the ocean and i'm very sad to see my favorite face wash uses them rather than a natural exfoliator. =/

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! I was just talking about making natural exfoliators/scrubs today! Thanks for sharing Kinsey!

    Iquo

    www.keaishop.com
    www.iquoismusic.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

If you have a question, please subscribe to the post via email so that you'll be notified once I've responded!

Form for Contact Page (Do not remove)